Indulge in the delectable, dairy-free delight world with our vegan blue cheese dressing recipe. In this culinary adventure, we’ll guide you through crafting a creamy and flavorful dressing that captures the essence of traditional blue cheese while remaining entirely plant-based.
This recipe showcases the endless possibilities of vegan cuisine, offering an alternative compassion towards animals and a testament to the creative potential of plant-based cooking. Our vegan blue cheese dressing boasts a rich, tangy profile, and we’ll show you how to achieve that coveted creamy texture without any dairy in sight.
For the vegan blue cheese dressing:
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked for at least 2 hours or overnight)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any other plant-based milk)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup crumbled firm tofu (pressed and drained)
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives (optional)
For the vegan blue cheese crumbles (optional):
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1. Prepare the Vegan Blue Cheese Crumbles (Optional):
- Combine the raw cashews, lemon juice, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and nutritional yeast in a food processor.
- Pulse until you achieve a crumbly texture resembling blue cheese crumbles. Set aside.
2. Prepare the Vegan Blue Cheese Dressing:
- Drain and rinse the soaked cashews.
- Combine the soaked cashews, almond milk, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, minced garlic, onion powder, salt, black pepper, nutritional yeast, and crumbled tofu in a high-speed blender.
- Blend on high until the mixture is smooth and creamy. You should stop and scrape down the sides of the blender a few times.
3. Adjust the Consistency:
- You can add more almond milk to achieve the desired thickness, depending on your preference.
- Blend again until well incorporated.
4. Taste and Adjust:
- Taste the dressing and adjust the seasonings as needed. Add more lemon juice for tanginess or more salt and pepper for flavour.
5. Add the Optional Chives:
- If you like a bit of extra freshness and colour, add the chopped chives to the dressing and pulse briefly to combine.
6. Chill and Serve:
- Transfer the Vegan Blue Cheese Dressing to a container with a lid and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving. This allows the flavours to meld together. It will also thicken slightly as it chills.
- Serve your vegan blue cheese dressing with a variety of dishes. It’s perfect for salads, as a dip for fresh veggies, or as a drizzle for baked potatoes.
Here are some serving suggestions for your vegan blue cheese dressing:
- Classic Salad Dressing: Use your vegan blue cheese dressing as a classic salad dressing. It pairs well with crisp greens like romaine lettuce or mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, and red onion. Add some croutons for extra crunch.
- Wedge Salad: Create a vegan version of the classic wedge salad by drizzling your dressing over a wedge of iceberg lettuce, along with chopped tomatoes, red onion, and vegan bacon bits.
- Buffalo Cauliflower: Serve your dressing as a dipping sauce for buffalo cauliflower bites. Roast cauliflower florets with your favourite buffalo sauce, then dip them in the vegan blue cheese dressing.
- Veggie Dip: Use the dressing as a dip for fresh vegetable sticks like carrots, celery, bell peppers, and cherry tomatoes. It’s a great addition to any veggie platter.
- Burger or Sandwich Spread: Spread your vegan blue cheese dressing on veggie burgers, sandwiches, or wraps. It adds a creamy and tangy element that elevates your plant-based sandwiches.
- Potato Salad: Incorporate the dressing into a vegan potato salad. Boil or roast some potatoes, add diced celery, red onion, and a dollop of your dressing for a flavorful and creamy potato salad.
- Vegan Pizza Dip: Use it as a dip for vegan pizza slices or breadsticks. It’s a great alternative to traditional ranch dressing for pizza.
- Bowl or Buddha Bowl: Drizzle the dressing over a bowl filled with grains (like quinoa or brown rice), roasted or steamed vegetables, and plant-based protein sources like tofu or chickpeas. It adds a burst of flavour to your bowl.
- Wrap Filling: Spread the dressing inside a tortilla before adding your favourite fillings for a delicious and creamy wrap.
- Grilled Vegetables: Use it as a marinade or drizzle for grilled vegetables. The creamy and tangy dressing complements the smoky flavours of grilled veggies.
- As a Dip for Vegan Wings: If you make vegan buffalo wings or cauliflower wings, this dressing can be a fantastic dip for them.
- Vegan Cobb Salad: Create a vegan Cobb salad with mixed greens, avocado, cherry tomatoes, roasted chickpeas, vegan bacon bits, and a generous drizzle of your vegan blue cheese dressing.
This homemade vegan blue cheese dressing is a dairy-free, creamy delight that adds tangy richness to plant-based meals. It’s a versatile condiment for salads, wraps, veggie dips, and more, with a simple blend of soaked cashews, tofu, and savoury seasonings.
Whether you’re a committed vegan or simply looking for a healthier alternative, this recipe offers a satisfyingly flavorful option. Give it a try and savour the goodness of a classic dressing in a plant-based form. Enjoy the creativity it brings to your kitchen!