Love chocolate? Well, who doesn’t ?!
Being a vegan, we have to cut off many favourite foods from our diet list. Luckily, chocolate isn’t one of those.
If you’re new to the vegan lifestyle or thinking about shifting to it, you’ll love this guide. Why?
Because today, I’m going to show you how you can make vegan chocolate at your home. And the best chocolates available on the market for us.
Use this table of content below to jump directly to your favourite section:
- How to make vegan chocolate at home
- 4 Best vegan chocolates:
- Frequently Asked Questions
How to make vegan chocolate at home
Let’s make some chocolate today!
Cocoa Butter (1 cup, finely chopped)
Maple Syrup (4 tbsp)
Cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder (1/2 cup)
Vanilla extract (1 tsp, optional)
Sea salt (1 pinch)
- Place 14 mini cupcake liners on a baking sheet. Set them aside.
- Take a large saucepan and add about 2 inches of water into it. Boil this water over medium heat.
- Now place a ceramic mixing bowl or a medium Glass on the top of this saucepan. Make sure this ceramic bowl does not touch the water.
- Add finely chopped cocoa butter in this mixing bowl and allow it to melt. It will take about 2-3 minutes.
- Once melted, now add maple syrup in this mixing bowl. Continue stirring using a wooden spoon or a whisk until fluid is thoroughly combined. Now remove the mixing bowl and place it on a flat surface. Also, turn off the flame and set the saucepan aside.
- Now add cacao powder, vanilla extract, and sea salt and continue to stir until there are no clumps. Taste the mixture and adjust the flavour as per your requirements.
- Your chocolate mixture is ready. Pour it into 14 mini cupcake liners and top with more sea salt or cacao nibs as per your liking.
- Place the chocolate in the refrigerator for about 10-15 minutes until it is set.
- That’s it. When it is set, take it out from the refrigerator and enjoy delicious chocolate at room temperature either direct from the refrigerator or at room temperature.
- You can store the remaining in a sealed container in a refrigerator for about one week.
Now you know how to make vegan chocolate at home. Try this and let me know it tastes in the comment section.
But hey, not all of us are master chefs, right?
Don’t worry, ‘cause I have listed some of the best vegetarian chocolate for you guys to enjoy. Let’s see those!
4 Best vegan chocolates:
Nomo (an acronym for No missing out) is one of the best chocolate in the vegan chocolate world. It is entirely gluten and dairy free and perfectly suited for vegetarians.
The chocolate is incredibly creamy, delicious and yummy. Gives you a raw pleasure of tasting cocoa. People of all ages love this organic chocolate for it’s creamy and delicious flavour.
Check here to see all six flavours of this chocolate box.
Galaxy Vegan Smooth Orange Bar
If you’re a Galaxy fan like me, you’re in luck! There’s a gluten-free orange flavoured delicious chocolate available for us!
Galaxy Vegan Orange Bar is super delicious because it uses hazelnut paste as its main ingredient. It offers a unique velvety texture and a yummy taste that you will remember for long.
Give it a try to enjoy an everlasting chocolaty delight.
Seed and Bean Mandarin and Ginger Extra Dark Chocolate Bar
If you’re a dark chocolate lover, you’ll definitely love this one. This is one of the very few dark chocolates that you’ll love to taste. Specially you’ll love the tangy orange and ginger flavour.
This dark chocolate bar is completely vegan and is palm oil-free and contains healthy ingredients. It is manufactured and handmade in England in small batches.
It comes with mandarin and ginger taste that is perfect for those who love chocolate with a bit of zing.
Freedom Chocolate Dark (80%)
Freedom chocolate comes from a reputable brand from Scotland. This chocolate offers a unique smell of cacao on opening the bar and is deliciously creamy.
Freedom chocolate bar is perfect for chocolate purists and especially for those who prefer a cleaner palate.
Above are my top 4 favourite list of chocolates for vegetarians. If you’re a chocolate lover, you”ll definitely love all of those.
Now that we’ve covered how to make it and where to find it, let’s answer some commonly asked questions about vegan chocolates.
Let’s dive in!
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Chocolate Vegan?
Chocolate is generally made from cacao beans. These cacao beans grow on cacao tree, which means that chocolate is inherently a plant-based food.
Now let’s answer the question that either the chocolate is vegan or not? Well, it depends on the process of making chocolate and the ingredients that are added.
Which Chocolate Can Be Labelled as Vegan?
Vegan chocolate is a chocolate that is made without any ingredients that come from animals. So, if you are vegan and love to eat chocolate, then the first thing that you need to look at while buying chocolate is the ingredients column.
Opt to go for a chocolate bar that contains minimal ingredients like chocolate liquor, cocoa butter, vanilla and sugar. Lesser the ingredients, purer and delicious the vegan chocolate bar will be.
Specially avoid dairy and gluten ingredients.
What Kind of Chocolate Can Vegans Eat?
High-quality dark chocolate is the best option for vegans. Search for a chocolate bar in which cacao content is at least 50% or more.
Higher cacao content is indicative of higher chocolate content. However, not all dark chocolates are made equal. Make sure to check the ingredient labels label as some brands add milk or fillers developed dairy.
Apart from the dark chocolate, you can also choose chocolate with nuts, mint, dried fruit, almond or other such inclusions as these chocolates are often vegan-friendly.
Contrarily, chocolates containing caramel, truffle, toffee filled chocolates, peanut butter should be avoided as they generally contain dairy ingredients.
Why Make Vegan Chocolate at Home?
You might be wondering why should I prepare vegan chocolate at home when I can quickly get one from the market. So, let’s discuss some of the benefits of discussing vegan chocolate at home.
- Homemade vegan chocolate is naturally sweetened
- It does not contain any suspicious ingredients
- It’s gluten-free
- Homemade vegan chocolate is much better in taste and quality
- It is entirely customizable and is pure fun to make chocolate at home
Why Cacao Butter?
Cacao butter is an essential ingredient to make vegan chocolate. It is cacao butter that gives a super creamy texture to the chocolate, which is similar to the texture of the chocolate you buy. In addition to that, Cacao butter melts quickly.
We all love eating chocolate as it is not only delicious but also comes up with plenty of health benefits. It is beneficial for the health of your heart, improves your mood and plays a vital role in improving cognitive functioning.
However, if you are a vegan and love to eat chocolates, then you have to be careful regarding the product you choose. The best thing is to prepare vegan chocolate at your home. Elsewise select the best vegan chocolate brand to satisfy your chocolate cravings.
Be careful while choosing and make sure to select the one that has minimal ingredients and is purely vegan.